Let’s face it, names are important. We all feel special when people remember our names and use them in conversation. One of the challenges of being a community leader is simply remembering everyone’s names. Here are some great tips to help you remember names:
- When introduced to someone, repeat their name back. “It’s nice to meet you Linda.”
- Repeat, repeat, repeat. Simply say the person’s name several times in your head.
- Ask how they spell their name. This is especially helpful if the name is unusual.
- Word association. Find something about the person that you can associate with them. Rhyming works too. (Pam is wearing purple. Robert has red hair. Lynn is thin. etc)
- Make a connection. Maybe the person looks like someone in your family or someone famous. Remember the comparison.
- Keep using their name. If conversing for a while, use their name again.
- If you forget, don’t be embarrassed to ask their name again.
Do you have a unique or unusual way to remember names? I would love to hear about it! Email me with your tip.